Thursday, December 8, 2016

My life with Kimon Nicolaides - Part 2

My quest for a unified approach to art education culminated in Operation Switch, and I decided to enroll in Max the Mutt, an animation school which adheres to the teachings of Kimon Nicolaides.

I had been looking forward to go through 'The Natural Way to Draw' for a second time, under the guidance of a knowledgeable teacher, only to find that my teachers were either sticking to one interpretation of the book, or just religiously following its exercises to the letter. My first Max the Mutt teacher made me do gestures blindly, i.e. without looking at the paper, hissing "fasterfasterfaster!" which was a complete disaster for me. My eye-hand coordination has always been bad, and my drawings ended as unintelligible scribblings. It was not until I decided to ignore her that my gestures started to make sense.

She was a believer. I remember she challenged us to show her even one sentence from the book which contained no truth, although she appreciated me pointing to Nicolaides' suggestion to order materials from the Art Student's League of New York, 215 West 57th Street, New York City. Fortunately, every now and then she was able to fill some of the gaps in my understanding of the matter. It was a real eye opener for me to learn that the Blind Contours exercise was all about line quality.

When working myself through the book for the second time, the nagging feeling that the exercises did not really amount to my drawing skills never left me. The enthusiasm of my teacher, who rewarded my efforts with High Passes and, eventually, Honours, made this even worse, as she seemed to mostly award students following directions, while she did not seem to be able to answer most of my questions about the approach.

I am still smiling when I think of her presenting Reverse Poses: we were to draw the model as seen in the mirror. When I asked, confused, where this mirror was supposed to be, she first claimed it did not really matter. When I looked even more confused she added "No no, the mirror is behind you!" and when I looked over my shoulder, she concluded "and you must draw what the model sees in that mirror". When she realized she had just lost the complete group of sixteen students, she told us to draw whatever we wanted to.

Throughout my first year, I was shocked to find how my drawing hand had started a life of its own. Whenever I was stuck in a drawing, usually because of lack of understanding of the pose, the structure of the human body or its anatomy, my right hand started to scribble frantically, as if to compensate for my lack of knowledge. I believe this misperformance was a consequence of my teachers' emphasis on drawing fasterfasterfaster, and of Nicolaides' prioritizing  feelings and intuition over solid skills and knowledge.

I do believe intuition and knowledge are two essential sides of the same medal, not just in art, but also in fields like mathematics and martial arts, and I feel that Nicolaides overly relies on the former. The vagueness of his approach to gestures, line quality and modeling strikes a chord in me, but the lack of solid technique and thorough understanding, as well as ignoring the outcome of the process, makes this intuition fall flat.

Fellow students introduced me to the teachings of Glenn Vilppu, and his thoughtful analysis of the pose, explaining how he guides the eye through the flow of the model presented me a whole new world. This man exactly taught what I found missing in Nicolaides!

My second year at Max the Mutt was a big disappointment when it came to life drawing. The same vague gospel of gesture was repeated over and over, and more emphasis was put on Quick Contours, where I was urged to draw faster in a way that had never worked for me. Seemingly pointless watercolor exercises were added, as well as box forms, modeled after the proportional model of Robert Beverly Hale. I kept working in my sketchbook religiously, and although my teacher seemed to like my work, I left this year with the feeling I had learned nothing.

The third year started well, with a new teacher who did not just talk the talk: he also walked the walk. Geordie Millar never failed to amaze me with his demos of life drawing and anatomy, in addition to being an established animal artist, well-connected to animation industry, having a broad and deep knowledge and experience in art and, overall, being a great guy. He did not so much care about following Nicolaides to the letter, seemed to be more into Vilppu, and breathed the latter's "There are no rules: there are only tools". On top of that, his positive mindset, challenging us to play, was a stark contrast with the negative reinforcement that permeated the school. I slowly felt how things came together, and started to make drawings I actually liked. I have no idea what happened, but Geordie did not last very long. The school's founder replaced him by no one else but herself.

This hard reset sent me back to square zero, with a teacher who barely knew what she was doing. She pragmatically made us repeat the few fragments from The Natural Way to Draw she liked or understood herself, and ignored everything else. In her Advanced Life Drawing course, she still maintained the course was not about making good drawings, categorically skipped the material on design and rhythm, did not want to see Daily Compositions, despite Nicolaides presenting these as the most important exercise of all. In addition to ignoring anything but the first few chapters, she introduced the vague notion of 'contour gesture' she could neither explain, demo or exemplify with course material, and she kept running in circles, stating this was the only way of drawing she could think of, which I believe is true, and that for any examples I was supposed to look at the work of the old masters.

I found some comfort in Andrew Loomis' 'Creative Illustration' which reads "We shall have no examples of Old Masters, for, frankly, what methods and procedures they used is virtually unknown" and concludes in all modesty that "There is but one course open for me if I am to stand with you for whatever value it has. You will thus have the chance to select what is of use to you." For your information, Andrew Loomis (1892-1959) was a renowned American illustrator.

I survived the Max the Mutt life drawing curriculum. My teacher was wildy enthusiastic about my sketchbooks and xeroxed the bulk of it for her archives, but, in all honesty, I have yet to find a single studio representative who shows even a minute interest in my work. So, I discarded my experience with Nicolaides and the Max the Mutt life drawing curriculum as a supreme misfortune where theory outstrips performance, to quote Leonardo once more.




1 comment:

Thomas Hendry said...

Something to bear in mind with Nicolaides is that he was part of the cohort that emerged in the wake of Academic classicism. 19th century training put so much emphasis on rote copying and very lengthy analysis and hard-core measurement.
Those academic/atelier skills have undeniable merit, but potentially at the expense of interpretive expression and spontaneity. So The Natural Way To Draw is a bit of a corrective, and leans perhaps too far to the personal and intuitive. But as an early Modernist artist, the personal, emotive and internal were more important to nurture than traditional descriptive skills.

I agree, though, making a fetish of any learning method tends to lose the spirit in favour of the letter.